[WikiEN-l] Searchability of non-mainspace pages

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu May 1 19:35:53 UTC 2008

 "David Gerard" wrote

> 2008/5/1 Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>:
>
> >  Not for that reason - but David's suggestion is a Very Bad Idea. Tools for site development (eg redlink lists) naturally reside in userspace, and we should care about editors finding them.
>

> ooh, ouch, yes.
>
> (How findable are these in practice in Google at present?)

Oh, very.

We need a different question, really. If MediaWiki were deliberately designed to have some namespaces that were for search engines to find, and others not, how should that be set up?

Something like the article space, Wikipedia: space and some Development: space might do. All discussion namespaces are inherently dodgy. But one more namespace that was non-article, non-policy might do; and one more namespace on the other side, so that AfDs didn't have to be in the Wikipedia: space - now this is sounding more reasonable to me.

Charles