[WikiEN-l] Widespread disagreement with Wikipedia:Verifiability

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Mar 31 05:21:03 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/30/2008 8:45:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm writes:

Of  course it isn't a source that can be cited in the article. On the
ther  hand, if an editor I trust says they called and got the scoop,
I would  take that into account on a talk page. >>

If a permanent-media source, like a news video states that the bridge is
closed, but a Wikipedian calls the transit company to confirm that it's open,
then the article citing the video would still say it's closed, and we as
Wikipedians should be asking the transit company to post an article to their own
website to say "Well now it's open" or whatever.

Telephone calls, emails, faxes and the like are not items which are
themselves, in their "own person" verifiable.  Although you may verify them  by
repeating essentially the same procedure, it is not actually the same finite  and
fixed source.

My personal viewing of an artwork, should never be put on-par with a
published account of same.  My own personal knowledge, however collected of  a
situation, should never be put on-par with published accounts.

Will Johnson

Home.