[WikiEN-l] Gosh, I couldn't have guessed that was the cause at all.

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Sun Mar 30 14:32:06 UTC 2008

> http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=223050&s=&i=&t=Asimed_Urges_Wikipedia_To_Remove_
>
> "ERZURUM - The Turkish Association for Fight Against Unfounded
> Genocide Allegations (ASIMED) launched an e-mail campaign against
> Wikipedia urging it to remove the "Semi-Protection" lock over the
> article on Armenian allegations concerning the incidents of 1915."

Good grief!

I realize that, having been partially suckered by their ploy,
I'm not the best person to be expressing outrage here, but:
what can they possibly be thinking?  Do they even understand what
"semi-protection" actually means?  Surely they realize that a
contentious issue like this one is much better served by limiting
the editing activity to registered users, rather than letting in
any random anonymous-IP drive-by editor...