[WikiEN-l] Unreliable sources, or no sources at all?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Mar 26 00:49:47 UTC 2008

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
> On 25 Mar 2008 at 00:03:47 UTC, "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>> Which would be you falling afoul of the fallacy that "all A is B
>> therefore all B is A." You need to think why in this case you're
>> wrong.
>
> The lesson I got out of it was "If A has a bigger and more powerful
> clique of friends and supporters than B, then by definition A is
> right and B is a troll," but what do A and B equal in *your*
> explanation?

No, Daniel, sometimes people are trolls just because they are trolling.
  Rather than listen appreciatively to an alternative perspective, they
stick their heads in the sand and repeat over and over and over that
"You are only picking on me because I am in the minority."

That's certainly something we should always be on the lookout for.  But
sometimes people are in the minority because they are behaving badly,
assuming bad faith, and generally not listening to otehrs.

--Jimbo