[WikiEN-l] Unreliable sources, or no sources at all?

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Tue Mar 25 23:51:35 UTC 2008

On 25 Mar 2008 at 12:18:57 +0000, "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> One point that bobolozo is missing, in his enthusiasm to get
> mass-deleting, is that [[Wikipedia:Reliable sources]] is itself ...
> not a reliable source. It's a guideline, and one with truck-sized
> holes in it. Applying it robotically is a recipe for bureaucratic
> stupidity. Thinking it can be applied bureaucratically suggests a lack
> of the level of judgement one should have before performing such a
> drastic mass action. Precis: if you think WP:RS justifies such a
> course of action ... you shouldn't even be considering the action in
> question, and need to go back and think more first.

Just today, I got (metaphorically speaking) beaten up bloody and left
at the side of the road for "trolling", when I objected to JzG doing
a mass purge of links to a site regarded as not a reliable source...
he was purging it not only from articlespace but also from talk and
project pages and even closed archives, with the justification that
this made it easy to monitor for inappropriate links to it in the
list of all links to the site.  I regarded this justification as
bogus, but was shouted down by the AN/I crowd.

--
== Dan ==