[WikiEN-l] Deletions snapped up by commercial organizations

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 22:55:19 UTC 2008

On 26/03/2008, Chris Howie <cdhowie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 2:37 PM, George Herbert
>  <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  I agree that it's proper to request and receive copies of articles deleted
>  >  by normal processes (other than BLP or other sensitive deletions).  Many
>  >  admins are open to doing so for anyone who requests a copy of a deleted
>  >  article.  Most people who request it are looking to see if they can recreate
>  >  an article and fix its problems, but taking the data (under GFDL) and
>  >  posting it elsewhere is also "legal".
>

> How do they deal with the issue of accreditation without article histories?

GFDL doesn't say anything about having a full wiki history for each
piece of text. A list of the authors who edited it available and
linked somewhere from the text should be fine, although wikipedia
destroyed the original list so it could prove somewhat troublesome for
them given the copyright owners who collaboratively authored the text
allowed wikipedia to destroy their contribution history.

Peter