[WikiEN-l] Unreliable sources, or no sources at all?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Tue Mar 25 18:22:13 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/25/2008 11:14:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
saintonge at telus.net writes:

This all  assumes that the "source" says what it is claimed to have
said.  No  source at all is preferable to sources that support specious
original  research.  Strung together these sources, which may each
individually  be valid, can support a "Da Vinci Code" style of
reasoning.  Properly  sourced from second-rate sources is still better
than poorly sourced from  first-rate sources.>>

Several unrelated concepts (imho) are linked together here. If the  source
doesn't say what it is claimed to have said, that is a very different  animal
than "original research by synthesis" which you then advance in the third
sentence.  I wouldn't call this sort of research specious, but it is  something we
frown on.  However these cases are very tenuous and borderline  and *each* one
should be taken to NPOV seperately.

The other extreme which I'm sure you wouldn't want to champion, would be
that we don't allow synthesis at all.  That position would of course, make  the
project pages essentially unreadable.  All editors do synthesis at some  level.
 The synthesis we frown upon is that which "serves to advance a  contentious
position."

If Saint Louis is a city in Missouri, and Saint Louis has a million people,
we can certainly say "there is at least one city in Missouri with a million
people".

Will Johnson

Home.