[WikiEN-l] Unreliable sources, or no sources at all?

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 17:33:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
>  To me, having a reference that doesn't support the information written in
>  the article is more harmful to the project than having an unreferenced
>  statement, and I'll remove such references without hesitation.

Of course; however, you should always check the history and see what
that reference was initially introduced as supporting.  Quite often
careless editors will by insertion, deletion or moving of content
dissassociate the reference from the content it originally supported.
It's quite possible that the reference IS needed - just not for the
info it's now next to.

I wasn't intending to place my *full* personal rules for referencing
above, but one of them is that if the reference no longer is required
it can be removed.  It could have been wholly replaced with a better
reference; the content it supported could have been removed; or it
could indeed have always been useless.

-Matt