[WikiEN-l] Unreliable sources, or no sources at all?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 18:37:40 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/23/2008 2:30:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bobolozo at yahoo.com writes:

My  question is, is it a good idea to simply go through
and remove large  numbers of these?  Are we better off
with no sources at all for  portions of text, rather
than have references which consist of message  board
postings and personal websites and  such?>>

-----------------------
It's a common misconception of our RS guideline/policy that "personal
websites" are verbotem.  Actually we don't say that.  There are  exceptions.  While
it's true that *many* or perhaps *most* personal  websites are not to be used,
it's not true that they all are.

My second point would be, if the existing link gives evidence pointing
toward other more reliable sources such as "... as he stated in a New York Times
article..." then removing the link removes information that we could use to
improve the article.  That is, the link could be changed to say "New york  times
blah blah blah as reported by *this site*"

Will Johnson

Home.