[WikiEN-l] Deletions snapped up by commercial organizations

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 21:40:40 UTC 2008

On 20/03/2008, jidanni at jidanni.org <jidanni at jidanni.org> wrote:

> Go ahead and rabidly delete articles. They'll only get snapped up by
> commercial organizations. <snip>

I know: let's wait for an article to get ripe, then delete it.

Ah yes, this article was deleted for failing to meet notability criteria.
Having read the article on MWB, I think the deletion was within our
policies.  Of course, MWB isn't the only "commercial" organization that's
been on the receiving end of our deleted articles - huge swaths of material
have been resituated to Wikia, for example.  I seem to recall that plenty of
articles related to webcomics and television programs have made this
transition. It helps to keep the articles under more watchful eyes, while at
the same time reducing the risk of copyright violation or original research.

It's a difficult conundrum - we already have enough difficulty maintaining
BLPs, and many of the same problems that relate to living people can also
impact organizations or companies whose articles are not widely watched.
We've done a great job motivating people to become vandal-fighters. Maybe
now we need to change focus a bit and start encouraging and rewarding people
for being article-watchers.  I'd gladly put several hundred articles onto my
watchlist for that purpose, if I could figure out which ones weren't being
watched.

Risker