[WikiEN-l] [WikiEn-l] Why do edit conflicts suck so much?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 00:05:38 UTC 2008

On 17/03/2008, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hm, I could have sworn I've been in such edit conflicts on ANI. If it
>  >  happens again, should I file a bugreport on that?
>

> The automatic merging isn't very good, I think that's a known issue.
>  I'm not sure how much it's meant to be able to cope with - I'll take a
>  look at the code.

Ok, it just uses the built in merge function of the external diff
program. That should be able to fix any conflict that doesn't have two
people editing the same bit of the article. If you're getting
conflicts with people editing different sections, there is probably
something more going on. If not, then it is a bug, but not a bug with
MediaWiki - seems unlikely, though.