[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] SUL pilot

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:45:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:40 PM, <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 3/17/2008 12:14:28 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> geniice at gmail.com writes:
>
> Which  one do you think will take up
> more  resources?>>
>

> ------------------------------
> Processes like government, should not be based on "what's easy".  They
> should be based on "what's fair and equitable".  I'm sure you agree.

Wikipedia is not governed like a country. Wikipedia is not always governed
on the basis of fairness or justice, though usually it is. Contrary to
common belief, the appropriate response when there is a trade-off between
resources like time and CPU cycles with moral principles like fairness and
justice, the principles do not always win. We don't try to prevent all
deaths from car accidents because that would entail banning cars; likewise,
in this case, any moral cost incurred from conducting the trial with admins
is wholly insignificant compared to the real resource costs incurred from
trying to figure out which "longstanding users" ought to be placed in the
trial.

Johnleemk