[WikiEN-l] Inclusionism vs Deletionism

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 00:44:32 UTC 2008

On 3/14/08, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> Whatever we do, let's not get hung up on those two terms
>  "inclusionist" and "deletionist".  They're pretty nearly
>  meaningless.  I'm reminded of an old joke: a nymphomaniac
>  is anyone who's having more sex than you are.  Similarly, a
>  deletionist is merely someone who wants to delete more articles
>  than you personally do (and vice versa for inclusionists).

I'd rather find meaningful definitions for them. I'm not feeling very
creative today, but how about:

Deletionist: Someone who thinks there are too many poor quality
articles in Wikipedia, and that deleting them is a good short term
solution.
Inclusionist: Someone who thinks that there are not enough good
quality articles in Wikipedia, and retaining poor quality articles is
a good long term solution.

(I deliberately want there to be overlap - someone could be both.)

Steve