[WikiEN-l] Community Ombuds Department

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 18:27:17 UTC 2008

Similar comment to the other bureaucracy-increasing proposal on Foundation-l
- Wikipedia/Wikimedia has a specific mission, which doesn't include
experimental governance. To the extent that community management is
necessary to preserve and promote the mission, we have it. The institutions
we have are open to modification by consensus, but creating whole new
classes of institutions as an end run is not a solution for those who
perceive a problem. So my question is this: In what way to Advisory
Councils, Ombudsmen Commissions, Volunteer Councils, etc. actually aid the
encyclopedia or any other aspect of the Wikimedia mission? By directing the
obsessively bureaucratic into a special circle of hell, so that the rest of
us can be left alone? (That never works, Hell tries to set the rules).

Nathan