[WikiEN-l] Scary...

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 23:32:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:04 AM, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Examine Tony's statement earlier  in the thread:
>
> "I agree 100%  If I can't convince anybody that something belongs in
>  Wikipedia, it doesn't belong in Wikipedia."
>  He doesnt say "convince everybody"  Read literally, if any unbiased
>  editor will support something, it should stay in, just as we don't ban
>  a user if  any one administrator is willing to unblock him.
>
>  More practically, it would require the consent of the community to
>  remove material. The only other way of reading it, is that it means,
>  convince everybody--but there wont be any content at all left on
>  controversial subjects if we do that.  So I suppose he means
>  consensus. I agree with him that the removal of good-faith material
>  should require prior consensus.
>

>  On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Charlotte Webb
>  <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 3/10/08, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > I agree 100% If I can't convince anybody that something belongs in
>  >  > Wikipedia, it doesn't belong in Wikipedia.
>  >
>  >  Depends on your definition of "anybody" in this context. Hopefully you
>  >  can recognize the (subtle) ambiguity here, but I can explain it if
>  >  necessary (and if I can find the words to concisely do so, which might
>  >  not be so easy).
>  >
>  >  —C.W.
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  WikiEN-l mailing list
>  >  WikiEN-l at lists.wikimedia.org
>  >  To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
>  >

>  --
>  David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

You are correct if, and only if, it is sourced. Our core policies
already have clear consensus that -unsourced- information may be
removed by anyone at any time, and that such information may not be
put back until and unless a credible source is located.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.