[WikiEN-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Geoffrey Plourde geo.plrd at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 01:09:09 UTC 2008

I can think of several reasons why the Foundation remains a non profit. If we switched to a Corporation, this would;

1) Remove tax deductible status (Think taxation, big time)
2) Undermine crediblity as a free compendium of knowledge
3) Create a big legal mess. WF would have to define stockholders which would disenfranchise several million users. In addition, these new stockholders would have a tax mess on their hands.
4) Open us up to SEC scrutiny