[WikiEN-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 10 23:20:05 UTC 2008

A survey on Special:Search asking readers various questions about their
thoughts, feelings and opinions regarding putting adverts on that page could
help to clarify this issue. It would need to be carefully designed and well
controlled, but it can be done in an unbiased and statistically sound
manner. With hundreds of millions of page views a month, we could afford to
do iterations of the survey until all parties are satisfied that it is fair,
and then discuss the results.

We would also need to anonymously survey active Wikipedia editors
separately. Their opinions matter enormously.

Folks seem generally agreeable to an objective, dispassionate analysis. A
data driven approach is the best way.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11/03/2008, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>
> >  Having said that, the issue of public perception is absolutely vital,
> >  and you do make a perfectly good point.

the influential editors within wikipedia have a certain viewpoint