[WikiEN-l] The Economist on "notability"

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 10 03:25:17 UTC 2008

Judson Dunn wrote:
> Anyway, I much prefer Utility as a criteria. Would people use an
> article about cholesterol, yes. Would they use one about Bulbasaur?
> yes. Would they use one about a Leica D-lux 3, yes. Would they use one
> about every fire hydrant in Pancake, TX? No.
>
> Luckily this is solved by our other inclusion policies already, it
> would be trivial to find reliable sources for the first three, much
> harder, if it's even possible, for the fourth. We don't really need
> any new policy, we just need to get rid of notability for good.
Certainly, we may find it difficult to imagine that anyone might find a
reliable source for those fire hydrants, but if they do we must respect
that.

So there really is a place called Pancake, Texas (population 11), but we
don't even mention it in our article on [[Coryell County, Texas]], or
even that the post office was once named "Bush".  I haven't checked if
we have articles on Pancake, PA or Pancake, WV, or the historical
Pancake, NV.

Ec