[WikiEN-l] Reputation: false or true god?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 9 20:01:13 UTC 2008

The Mangoe wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 3:28 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>
>>  Reputation is a false God that I have no intention of worshipping.  Most
>>  of it is an excuse for POV pushing.
>>
> BIG objection here. Reputation is our reliability; if we aren't in
> some sense reliable, our work has no reason for existence. Listening
> to external criticism is essential.
No, accurate information is the foundation of reliability.  Reputation
is about what the neighbours think.  If an article about a Pokémon
character is accurate within its own context, that's as much as we can
expect of it.  Sure we listen to external criticism, and I do take their
criticism of deletionist shenanigans seriously, but that has nothing to
do with reliability.  Whether an article might be considered by some as
trivial or lacking in notability says nothing about its reliability.

More than anything criticisms of Wikipedia's reliability have relied on
the prejudicial premise that something put together by a gang of
amateurs can't possibly be reliable.  The reaction of many Wikipedians
to that has led to a massive campaign of overcompensation.  A public
reputation of reliability can only be built eventually over time.  If
some elements of the public are so tied to their preconceptions of
unreliability they are not about to waste a lot of time on anything
where they would prove themselves wrong.  I suppose the overcompensators
are cut from the same cloth.

Ec