[WikiEN-l] What is happening to the community

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Mar 9 17:34:15 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/9/2008 10:05:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ian.woollard at gmail.com writes:

It's OK  to do that sometimes, but this is usually called 'leeching'
and many  websites will check their access logs and set up their
webserver to refuse  requests when people do that. It actually costs
the other websites money to  provide that service for your readers.>>

-------------------------
The programmers who created the Wiki software set it up that way.
So it's hardly fair to blame users who use it :)

Not that you're necessarily blaming me, but the word "leeching" is
provocative.

Apparently there is a way to stop deep-linking of pictures, I've  encountered
it a few times when I go looking for an image to link.   However, I do
create, where the image comes from, so people if interested can  visit the website
in question to see more.  That isn't something required  by the software, it's
just the way I do it.

But my question still remains, why do we have (or had) an ability in the
software that we don't use in the project. "The sky is falling" isn't a good
argument, and simply in-linking a remote picture would solve many space  issues.
I'm sure some providers would be quite willing to even give us  license, not
that we'd need it

Will Johnson