[WikiEN-l] CAS Discourages Using SciFinder to Help Curate Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Mar 9 07:37:21 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/8/2008 11:29:51 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu writes:

If WMF's  lawyer is
willing to step in and say that we are not infringing their  copyright,
that's one thing, but in the meantime they explicitly claim that  we are and
you are not a lawyer. IMHO there are plausible arguments in  favor of the CAS
position that you are not  considering.>>

A + B does not equal 4.  Your argument above is not compelling.
We do not make decisions "under advice of counsel", we make them by
community discussion.  The community, in this case, is hopefully wise  enough to see
this sham claim of "copyright over facts" for exactly what it  is.  We also
cite hundreds of details about movie scripts, and hundreds of  quotes from the
New York Times.

In none of these cases are we violating any copyright, regardless of what
any supposedly injured party might think.  If they do in fact this it, let  them
send us a C&D officially, drafted by their lawyer, stating that.

They can then, cite, the exact case law under which they are making such a
claim.  Otherwise they are just blowing smoke.