[WikiEN-l] What is happening to the community

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 8 00:04:38 UTC 2008

The Mangoe wrote:
> This has topic-drifted like mad, so please excuse this as being a
> collection of utterly unrelated material.
>
> One of the things that has bothered me is the way in which Wikipedia
> has tended to attempt to take over from more specialized efforts which
> are surely more authoritative than anything we can produce.

Unless these specialized efforts are also NPOV and under the GFDL (or
similar CC licence) there really is a benefit to be gained in
reinventing that particular wheel.

> It would be nice to come up with some way to turn
> ourselves into a portal to the good (meaning reliable) stuff for these
> subjects.

In terms of being able to organize and integrate the information it's
hard to beat the benefit of simply incorporating it directly into Wikipedia.