[WikiEN-l] The Economist on "notability"

Ben Yates ben.louis.yates at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 18:09:48 UTC 2008

It's instructive to look at the history of Everything2 -- clearly
there is *some* lower limit on the notability of concepts that can be
included, because if there isn't you eventually get articles called
"what is your favorite color" and containing "blue ~~~ green ~~~
yellow! ~~~"  On everything2, these were called "getting-to-know-you
nodes" and purged relatively early on.

But that particular lower bar is very, very low.  Even an article
called "my cat howie" is more encyclopedic.

Wikipedia is uniquely positioned to be an engine of more general wiki
growth, where articles at its defined lower limit are siphoned off
somewhere else.  If that sort of thing is implemented properly, with
the possibility of easily moving stuff in and out (and leaving a
trail), it could be very cool.

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/03/2008, Kurt Maxwell Weber <kmw at armory.com> wrote:
>  >  > and scope.
>  >
>  >  Which should be "everything that exists."
>
>  We already have that project under way. It's called the 'Internet'.
>
>  Please feel free to use it instead of projects that try for more
>  uniformly higher quality such as the wikipedia.
>
>  > --
>
> >  Kurt Weber
>  >  <kmw at armory.com>
>

> --
>  -Ian Woollard
>
>  We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. If we lived in a perfectly
>  imperfect world things would be a lot better.

Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com