[WikiEN-l] The Economist on "notability"

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 15:37:37 UTC 2008

On 3/7/08, Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> (A) Orphanage and adoption. We could increase the weight given to potential
> incoming links as a metric. Surely we could partition "New Pages" into those
> articles that are not orphans (redlinks from article space), and others.
>
> (B) [[Category:Red list]]. We could get into gear with more reputable lists
> of desired topics created in agreed ways. I personally have heard about
> those "low-hanging fruit" once too often.
>
> (C) Projectify Notability issues more. De facto an energetic WikiProject has
> a block vote, at AfD. We could make that more de jure.

(D) Quit using the N-word altogether, focusing instead on less
subjective issues such as the availability of sources, the quality of
the prose, the navigational utility of at least a minimal stub about a
given topic (either as part of a finite set or as an obvious link
between two or more other articles of equal or greater magnitude).

I try to think of myself as a pragmatic inclusionist. To everybody
else I'm some crazy bitch who won't shut up.

—C.W.