[WikiEN-l] Inclusionism vs Deletionism

Renata St renatawiki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 05:52:53 UTC 2008

After NY Book review & Economist articles I have been thinking...

The debate I vs D became so prominent after Wikipedia decided to focus not
on quantity, but rather on quality (when it dawned to people that in 2M+
articles we don't even have 2k featured articles) and require citations for
everything. It's not a bad thing in itself... but then it turned into
"instead of improving articles, let me delete the worst kind of articles -
Pokemon characters, TV episodes, bands, etc. That way I will improve
Wikipedia's quality not by adding something better, but by subtracting
something worse than the average (or the desired standard)."

Isn't this what's happening now?

[For those who think in math: you can increase the average of [-3; 0; 4; 5;
9] to 6 by either adding 1 to each number (i.e. expanding/cleaning up each
article) of by deleting -3 and 0... so which set would be better [-2; 1; 5;
6; 10]  or [4; 5; 9]? the questions is not which one is easier...]

Sincerely,
Renata3 (a deletionist going through a faith crisis)