[WikiEN-l] What is happening to the community

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 22:24:49 UTC 2008

On 3/7/08, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> Definitely. See the following for just some of the subjects "at arms'
>  length": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Size_comparisons
>
>  A selection:
>  *"The Guide Star Catalog II has entries on 998,402,801 distinct
>  astronomical objects searchable online."

Do we want an article on every distant object, no matter how little is
known on it? I doubt it.

>  *"The British Library is known to hold over 150 million items."

I don't think we want an article on every single arrowhead, pottery
fragment or piece of flint.

>  *"Genbank, an online database of DNA sequences from over 165,000
>  species , has over 46 million entries"

Don't know enough about DNA to comment.

>  *"The National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA) GEOnet Names Server
>  contains approximately 3.88 million named"

Named what?

>  *"Thomson-Gale's Biography Resource Center contains over 1,335,000 biographies."

Cool. How many do we have?

>  *"31 million CAS registry numbers have been allocated for chemical compounds."

We could do  with some lists, but an article on every compound is
probably too much, when so little can be said for so many of them.

>  *"the Internet Movie Database claims to have records on 549,131 titles
>  and 2,280,301 names."

We definitely want that level of depth I think. Particularly since we
can at least cite the IMDB for all of them...

Steve