[WikiEN-l] The Economist on "notability"

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 21:23:43 UTC 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 4:16 PM, David Gerard wrote:

> http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10789354
>
> Yes, (the Wikipedia jargon meaning of) notability is suitable material
> for a business- and economics-oriented news magazine.[*]

I will repeat my conviction that our notability guidelines are the
biggest PR blunder we engage in.

Which is all the more frustrating given that the problem with most of
these trivia sections seems to be an interface problem rather than a
fundamental content problem. Because we've adopted too many artifacts
of print like purely linear article design and spatial arrangement on
a single page we're stuck with masses of data and side notes being a
distraction to the articles. As a result we steadily delete valuable
content that is not reproduced elsewhere and will not be reproduced
elsewhere.

Go us?

-Phil