[WikiEN-l] What is happening to the community

Relata Refero refero.relata at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 15:13:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> on 3/6/08 9:23 AM, Relata Refero at refero.relata at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Why? We shouldn't care that much about the "community". Caring about
> such
> > nebulous things as the "community" and its "ideals" is one of the
> reasons
> > why the social-networking side of WP gets in the way of improving the
> > encyclopaedia. I personally try never to use the word "community".
> "Project"
> > is more correct. If you think about the difference between those words,
> > you'll realise why your concerns are almost certainly irrelevant.
> >
> > RR
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 5:30 AM, SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> The question for good people on all sides is: what can we do now to
> >> help save and protect this community and its ideals?
> >>
> >> Sarah
> >>
> Sarah,
>
> The above post by Relata Refero is a good example of what you are up
> against
> asking the questions you are asking. And, unfortunately, it's all too
> typical: People having a much more comfortable time dealing with 1s & 0s
> than with other people.
>
> Marc Riddell

I think that's vaguely insulting, actually. More to the point, its a
spectacular assumption about my personal habits based on a statement I made
about institutional structures. Either way, it would be normally quite
unhelpful - except that its actually more than a little illustrative of my
point.

RR