[WikiEN-l] What is happening to the community

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 00:26:46 UTC 2008

On 06/03/2008, SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Erik is right. What is happening to the community is the real issue.
>  Even when I joined Wikipedia as a relative latecomer in 2004, the
>  sense of community and shared purpose was still palpable. People fell
>  out, of course, and made mistakes, but AGF wasn't an empty gesture or
>  a rule we blindly followed. We assumed good faith because we were all
>  here to give of our time, without payment or any benefit other than a
>  feeling of satisfaction, to produce something that might help to
>  educate and enlighten other people. In exchange, we hoped that others
>  would educate and enlighten us. It was the most inspiring idea I'd
>  ever come across, that people all over the world could unite to
>  benefit each other in that way.
>
>  But suddenly Wikipedia became very popular, and there was more money
>  than before, and people started jockeying for position, and now we're
>  tearing each other apart.

Only in fairly narrow areas. The last 3 users I interacted with on
wiki were User:Froth User:SingCal and User:Vanderdecken. So far no
bloodshed. You probably don't know these users I certainly don't but
there doesn't appear to be any problem with AGF.

>  Everyone involved in this, no matter how right they feel they are, has
>  to somehow muster the strength and courage to put their individual
>  interests to one side and focus on the project, because it really is a
>  wonderful, unique, awe-inspiring thing we're involved in here.  I
>  think we forget this because we see it from the inside. We get jaded.

You might. Personally I try to switch to something new. Once I get my
current camera issues sorted I plan to look into seeing how I can
increase the role of videos in wikipedia.

>  The question for good people on all sides is: what can we do now to
>  help save and protect this community and its ideals?

Nothing. Understand that for most of the project you are of no
significance. Understand that regardless of your feelings the vast
majority of the community is getting by just fine. At the moment there
are handful of editors that have cross community impact Betacommand is
the only one who comes to mind.

Thus all you can ultimately do is make sure that you yourself are not
damaging the project.

--
geni