[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 21:36:03 UTC 2008

Not to mention - how much effort should we expend on preventing the
reoccurrence of something we aren't sure happened in the first place? So
far, most of it by far is unconfirmed. They are allegations by Danny which
follow on from similar allegations of gross misconduct during the Board
election. His obvious personal animus takes away a huge portion of any
credibility he might have otherwise had (at least to me, apparently not the
AP).

Absent confirmation from the Board/Jimmy (which Florence's quoted e-mail
don't necessarily constitute) then I'm not sure what you or anyone else who
thinks this is a huge problem is asking for. Should new rules and
announcements, Board resignations and extensive mea culpas follow from a
vicious attack in a blog written by the classic "disgruntled former
employee" who also failed to be elected to the Board?

Asking these questions, and questioning the credibility of the accuser,
isn't the same as whitewashing what happened. I'm not a follower of "St.
Wales," if anyone actually is, but I do (1) appreciate the existence of
Wikipedia and (2) feel that accusations of such weight should be
substantiated by at least a tiny little bit of evidence. I mean, seriously -
if that aide to Bush who was dismissed for fabricating dozens of newspaper
columns then came back and said, with no evidence, "Bush charged the Fed for
expensive wine and prostitutes while in Moscow!" would anyone, even his most
ardent opponents, believe him? No. The same should be true here.

Nathan