[WikiEN-l] Admin, RFA, RFB and whatnot...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Mar 5 21:16:45 UTC 2008

Steve Bennett wrote:
> There is nothing to be confused about. Anyone who regularly votes on
> anything will, sooner or later, attempt to convert their vote into
> power.
Power-voters, like eBay's Power-sellers to easily make a career of
whatever it is that they have power about.
> Animate's initial response:
>
> "I'm surprised to find myself not giving strong support, as everything
> I've observed from Riana has been positive. However, the Kelly Martin
> adminship nomination really gives me pause."
>
> Translates basically as "Hmm, I've got some dirt on you. Convince me."
> Just like in the RfAs, where people routinely come up with all sorts
> of novel hoops for candidates to jump through - voters want to
> exercise their power.

Whether one supported or opposed any individual candidates should never
be accepted as a criterion for one's votes.  Maybe such comments should
be struck from the record of the vote.
> My suggestion has always been the same: define objective measurements
> that candidates must reach, and reduce voting down to either 'they
> satisfy the objective measurement, or they don't". Regular voters hate
> power being taken out of their hands so shout down the idea.
Indeed.

Ec