[WikiEN-l] Admin, RFA, RFB and whatnot...

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:19:53 UTC 2008

On 3/1/08, Screamer <scream at datascreamer.com> wrote:
>  When I look at some of the opposes and Neutrals, primarily the ones by
>  Animate and FM, I get a little confused. (regarding the KM nomination)
>  Since when did RFA and RFB become political and not about trust and
>  abuse potential?  It seems these discussions have evolved away from
>  that.  After reading Jimbo's opinion on the matter, and this was made,
>  what a few years back, perhaps he should go semi nilly willy.

There is nothing to be confused about. Anyone who regularly votes on
anything will, sooner or later, attempt to convert their vote into
power. Animate's initial response:

"I'm surprised to find myself not giving strong support, as everything
I've observed from Riana has been positive. However, the Kelly Martin
adminship nomination really gives me pause."

Translates basically as "Hmm, I've got some dirt on you. Convince me."
Just like in the RfAs, where people routinely come up with all sorts
of novel hoops for candidates to jump through - voters want to
exercise their power.

My suggestion has always been the same: define objective measurements
that candidates must reach, and reduce voting down to either 'they
satisfy the objective measurement, or they don't". Regular voters hate
power being taken out of their hands so shout down the idea.

Steve