[WikiEN-l] Why are images deleted in such a hurry?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 07:44:53 UTC 2008

On 04/03/2008, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Which we should refuse, since the whole purpose of a rationale is to
>  address why a specific use of a specific image in a specific article
>  is justifiable. We should never accept nonfree images by category,
>  only by individual case. It is unfortunate that in some cases we do de
>  facto have categoric acceptance (CD covers, logos, etc.), but that
>  will change in time, and requiring individualized rationales will help
>  with that.

That statement makes little sense, because the rationale is in fact
pretty much identical for pretty much all CD and book covers. (I'm
sure Geni will dive in right now with a string of exceptions, but I
maintain it's still the case in general.) You really could put
identical text on almost all and it would be a fair-use justification.

- d.