[WikiEN-l] Why are images deleted in such a hurry?

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Tue Mar 4 20:40:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like the image has been restored, and re-tagged. If it was deleted as
>  an orphan non-free... The original post says that it was an image on an
>  article he was watching.  Do orphan non-frees even get tagged usually?

Oh, this one wasn't an orphan, it didn't include an outbound link in
the rationale. Sorry for the confusion. The current situation is that
the rationale needs to link to the article it's being used in. (like
"This image is fair use, in [[Diet Coke]]") This is distinct from
orphan non-free images (which are also tagged, yes, and deleted in 7
days)

I personally don't think this extreme reading of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NFCC#10c is such a great idea,
but it's been around for a while now. I don't think bots should look
at the *quality* of rationales. I think bots are helpful in making the
binary decisions about whether a rationale exists, and if it's an
orphan. If a rationale exists however, and it is used in an article
then, in my opinion, any further action needs to be taken by a human.
Having said that, the preceding is *not* the current status of image
management on enwiki.

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion