[WikiEN-l] Why are images deleted in such a hurry?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:14:26 UTC 2008

On 04/03/2008, cohesion <cohesion at sleepyhead.org> wrote:

> Images are deleted fairly efficiently, if they are not then you get an
>  out of control situation very quickly. Thousands of bad images get
>  uploaded every week, there is simply no way to give each one 20
>  minutes of editor time to review. This one was deleted because it
>  claimed to be fair use, but didn't link to any article. That may seem
>  extreme, but when we are dealing with thousands of images the work
>  really has to rely on the uploader.

Indeed. A non-free image that isn't on any article and doesn't claim
fair use is taken out and shot in short order, and this is entirely
the right thing to do. If someone is upset by this, that's a problem
of manner of action and education of the uploader, rather than the
action itself or its timing.

- d.