[WikiEN-l] using a Wikipedia template on another wiki + GFDL

Angela Anuszewski psu256 at member.fsf.org
Mon Mar 3 17:15:54 UTC 2008

Hi,
I'm sorry if this isn't the proper place, but I know there is a lot of
GFDL expertise here, and I want to do the right thing. While how to
reuse text from article space is pretty well documented, I wasn't able
to find anything on WP help that specifically addressed templates and
would like some guidance. (And perhaps suggest some text on how to
reuse templates be added to the reuse guidelines page.)

We are setting up a wiki at work, and I saw someone scanned a book
cover (probably for the company book club), which immediately set my
mind to the non-free book cover template on WP. We probably need a
similar template, but if we wanted to derive from WP's and not violate
the GFDL, how would we go about providing the history? Would including
a link to the template original text and authors/revision history in
the template doc section be sufficient? I wonder because if the
template gets used via subtr: on an image page, it might not be
obivous that a template was used at all, and the reference to WP might
get lost in the process... is that ok, or not?

Angela
--
Wikipedia:[[User:Psu256]]