[WikiEN-l] Who monitors Wikipedia?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 00:11:38 UTC 2008

>  They are volunteers, yes: they volunteer to be our servants.  They should not
>  act on their own initiative, but merely implement the will of the community.

Strictly speaking, you're right, but interpreting the will of the
community sometimes requires a bit of initiative. Interpreting the
will of those involved in an issue is easy, but it's not always
enough. To interpret the will of the community at large requires an
understanding of why the community has the views it does so that you
can apply those views to new situations - it's these new situations
that generally result in cries of "admin abuse" (ignoring the "how is
my company going to get any business now you've deleted our advert?!"
complaints, which are far more numerous but far easier to ignore).