[WikiEN-l] More fair use image overreaching

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Mar 2 22:54:45 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/2/2008 2:46:30 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
shimgray at gmail.com writes:

>  >  I think  the intended meaning was along the lines of "Current  lack of a
> >  free image  is not sufficient justification  to use a non-free  image".
>
>  That would make more  sense, and is a position with which I think we could
>  all  agree.

It is the general consensus view, but I'm a little worried we  may be
failing to communicate quite what it means very well - it's  the
position you seem to have been arguing against all day!

See, an  hour before, you said: "If we have no free-use image, we
should be and are  free to use a fair-use image *until* such time as we
do have a free-use  image."

So you insist that we can use non-free images when we don't  currently
have a free one, but then you agree that not having a free image  just
now *isn't* justification to use an non-free one.  [1]>>>
Let's be aware that a "non-free" image is not identical to a "fair-use"
image.  Non-free covers the entire universe outside of "Free", and  "Fair-use"
only covers a sub-set of that external set.  It's quite possible  that people not
understanding this, are making the claim that everywhere the  policy
discusses "non-free" it's discussing "fair use", but imho it isn't.

You paraphrase me as saying that "not having a free image just now isn't
justification to use a non-free one".  What I actually agreed to was a more
particular expression that "Current lack of a free image isn't sufficient
justification to use a non-free one".

The actual justification of when a fair use image may be used, is spelled
out in the Non-free policy and other linked pages.  What is actually  occurring
is that fair-use images are being deleted without having any  replacement
image, or even any idea of whether a replacement free image  exists.

There's a fair divide between those positions.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)