[WikiEN-l] More fair use image overreaching

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Sun Mar 2 21:33:04 UTC 2008

WJhonson at aol.com schreef:

> In a message dated 3/2/2008 1:19:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> eugene at vanderpijll.nl writes:
>
> >  It's  just that policy doesn't agree with you on this point. The  board
> > has said  we shouldn't rely on fair use until we have a  free-use  image.>>
>

> -----------------------
> "The board has said we shouldn't rely on fair use UNTIL we have a free  use"
>
> This is not what the board has said.
> IF we had a free use image, we would not need a fair use one.
> Somehow I think you've missed a word in there  somewhere.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this.

Perhaps if I paraphrase the preceding discussion, it is clearer what I
meant?

WJhonson: "For images that are replaceable but for which we do not have
a free replacement yet, we should rely on fair use until we have a
free-use image."

Eugene: "No, the board has said we shouldn't."

Eugene refers to [[Wikipedia:EDP]], the guideline on images, point 12:
"images that if non-free would almost certainly not satisfy the policy:
#12. Pictures of people still alive". (Which covers the case we're
discussing here.)

Eugene furthermore refers to
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Licensing_policy , the
board resolution we all have to follow, because it is their servers:
"An EDP may not allow material where we can reasonably expect someone to
upload a freely licensed file for the same purpose, such as is the case
for almost all portraits of living notable individuals."

Eugene