[WikiEN-l] So, why do we provide porn?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 15:45:26 UTC 2008

On 01/03/2008, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 4:04 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  False Commons has deleted random penis pic submissions for quite some time.
>

> There is a difference between vandalism and honestly contributing media.

How do you tell?

>  >  Commons does not exist to push your POV on sexuality.
>

> I didn't say it did, my comment was mostly directed at the fact that
>  Steve compared female masturbation with decapitation, something I
>  found patently offensive.

Why? Both are natural and both have been aproved and opposed by
various societies throughout history.

>  We point is, we shouldn't censor either Commons or Wikipedia based on
>  arbitrarily chosen moral guidelines. The goal of Wikipedia,
>  especially, should be to give people the truth,

Ah the truth<sup>tm</sup>. But Quid est veritas? (and no  Est vir qui
adest is not a useful answer in this context).

Let just say your claim is disputed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Verifiability/truth

> to cut through all the
>  moral crap that we inherit from culture and just give people the
>  information.

Morality is crap? Well that is certainly a POV although one I doubt
you hold going by some of your early comments. By rejecting the
comparison between masturbation with decapitation you in turn reject
the endpoint of moral relativism and thus your position becomes
internally inconsistent.

>It's absurd for such a project to say "We should delete
>  all the pictures of women touching their cooches, because masturbation
>  is dirty and sinful!".

No more absurd than saying that we should keep them because it allows
commons to tech some message that you want to transmit.

>  >  Neither actually show decapitation. Problem is that decapitation isn't
>  >  something normally done during dissection so it won't show up there
>  >  and Category:Butchers isn't that complete yet.
>

> They show people being executed, which was the point. If you want
>  pictures of actual decapitations, look no further than the articles on
>  the Guillotine and the French Revolution.

Strangely no. Most artists show just before hand and the photos don't
even show the person on the guillotine.

The bible inspired
Image:Judith Beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio.jpg
Would appear to be the first actual decapitation pic that comes to
hand and Image:Beheadingchina2.jpg the closest we have to a photo.

--
geni