[WikiEN-l] Another rule literalism problem

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 23:34:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 14:26, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
>> Other then your say-so, do we have a source that gives your  spelling?
>
> Hiragana is unambiguous.  You can look up exactly what it is.  When you look
> it up you get "Tessaiga", not "Tetsusaiga".  It doesn't take any interpretation
> to do so.  There are no serious claims that the Japanese version doesn't
> say "Tessaiga".

Hiragana may be unambiguous (though I'd dispute that: should the
apical postalveolar flap be transliterated as "r" or "l"?), but on the
English Wikipedia, we use the Latin alphabet.  If the common Latin
transliteration is not the same as the literal transliteration, we use
the common one.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]