[WikiEN-l] Another rule literalism problem

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 25 21:50:55 UTC 2008

Ken Arromdee wrote:
> Hiragana is unambiguous.  You can look up exactly what it is.
> When you look it up you get "Tessaiga", not "Tetsusaiga".

I'm as annoyed as you are if "Tetsusaiga" is a stupid mistake
which The Rules are perpetuating, but I'm afraid your argument
goes nowhere.  There's an unambiguous transliteration from the
English to the German alphabet, and yet the Germans persist in
calling that big state on the west coast of the U.S. by their
own name "Kalifornien".  (This despite the fact that they have
no problem spelling Oregon and Nevada "correctly".)  Similarly,
Americans insist on misspelling France's third-largest city as
"Lyons", even though that they have no problem with "Paris".