[WikiEN-l] ArbCom Legislation

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Jun 24 11:26:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Kurt Maxwell Weber <kmw at armory.com> wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2008 08:58, Wily D wrote:
>> It was "royal assented" by Jimbo, but with
>> him effectively removed from his position of arbitrary authority these
>> days, I wonder if the community could vote to disband ArbCom.
>
> It doesn't need to, since the Arbitrary Committee doesn't legitimately exist
> in the first place.  It doesn't need to be disbanded; everyone just needs to
> start ignoring it.

If the project community consisted solely of individuals like you and
me that might work, Kurt.  But in practice society isn't ready for
anarchy, even on the Internet.  If the ArbCom is to lose its power it
will need to be replaced with something else.

Like it or not, Wikipedia actually makes a good case study for why
anarchy doesn't work.