[WikiEN-l] Another rule literalism problem

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed Jun 25 07:59:16 UTC 2008

Talk:Tetsusaiga
Talk:InuYasha#Naming_Conventions

The English licensor made a mistake in the translation, calling it
"Tetsusaiga".

One person insists that because that is the official English translation,
the article *must* be called by the incorrect name; moreover, since we don't
have a reliable source for the name being a mistake, we can't even treat it
like an incorrect name.  (Note that hiragana in Japanese is phonetic and the
name lacks ambiguity.)

I can see how the rules can be read that way, but this is clearly being
mindlessly literal, secure in the knowledge that the wrong result is In The
Rules, so nobody can stop it.

And the same guy has been at it for years; here's one from 2004:
Wikipedia_talk:Manual_of_Style_for_Japan-related_articles/tessaiga .