[WikiEN-l] ArbCom Legislation

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 03:00:51 UTC 2008

2008/6/23 Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca>:
> Why does the fact that he was a "victim" change the standards
> for what the contents of an article about him should be? That
> seems like it fits the definition of POV very well.

Let's assume that it doesn't. Hey, let's assume that you think that
somebody who is bullied deserves it, if they're fat or something.

So should we also create wikipedia categories for:

Category:rape victim
Category:child abuse victim

and add them to BLP articles?

After all, in some cases it's a matter of public record right? I mean
of course if the person makes a point to talk about it to the press
that might be entirely appropriate to raise awareness of an issue or
something, but if they didn't?

> How do you propose to judge this without resorting to
> original research?

The point is the principle that just because it may be true,
doesn't mean you have to necessarily put it in a BLP
article. There are legal and ethical constraints that
make it to not always be a good idea.

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. If we lived in a perfectly
imperfect world things would be a lot better.