[WikiEN-l] ArbCom Legislation

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 21:14:25 UTC 2008

2008/6/18 Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>:
> Translation, please.  What exactly has changed?  What is "it" here?
> Can't be that BLP policy enforcement is a novelty. "It" seems to be the
> parameters of enforcement. But I suppose most of those with the best
> interests of the mission at heart and involved in enforcement of BLP
> have figured this out a while ago. I'm sure OTRS volunteers have.
> Against those determined to use our pages to smear people, it happens
> that tough measures may be required.

BLP is 36K of messed up text. I doubt many people with the interests
of the project at heart have actually read it.

As written it is broadly equivalent to our copyright policy reading as
a long version of "we must keep in mind and respect people's
intellectual property rights" which would result in either wikipedia
being overrun by copyvios or the deletion of about 90% of wikimedia
commons.

Worse than that it can't even be fixed because people don't seem to be
sure what it is actually meant to be doing. About the only thing it's
clear on is that it doesn't apply to dead people. Heck we haven't even
settled the status of legal persons yet and you want to make this
enforceable beyond our normal methods?

--
geni