[WikiEN-l] Image contribution embarassment

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:20:25 UTC 2008

On 6/15/08, Simetrical <Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Better yet, wait a couple of months and they can sign up on Wikipedia
> and get an account on Commons automatically, when unification is
> automatic at account creation.

Forgive me for the stupid question, but I am curious why this is not
already in effect, and what exactly will happen in "a couple of
months" to make this possible if it is not currently so.

> Assuming that freely-licensed images should always be uploaded to
> Commons anyway, which isn't a terrible assumption...

This is an excellent assumption.

> this restriction only reduces people's ability to upload fair-use images
> (and, of course, copyvios).

Well obviously copyvio can be uploaded anywhere if one is a skillful
liar. The difference is that commons admins are expected to understand
image policy and take it seriously, so uploads which violate policy
are more likely to be deleted.

—C.W.