[WikiEN-l] ArbCom Legislation

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 15:47:40 UTC 2008

This is a proposal that will encourage administrators to not act
responsibly, by destroying the principle that an administrative action
can be overturned by another administrator. Any one of the 1100 or so
active administrators can delete material, tc. etc. and no one can
overturn it without a definite  community consensus. any one of the
1100 can be as  arbitrary as he pleases, and get away with it unless
the community is willing to actually actively oppose him.  Thus, the
bias will be towards removing material--which perhaps is what some
people want with BLPs. Tell me, what would the reaction be if a
proposal were mooted that any one of the 1100 administrators could
mark BLP material as being kept, and could not be opposed without
similar agreement?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Sam Blacketer
<sam.blacketer at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 6/17/08, Wily D <wilydoppelganger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I'm really unsure on what I think.  ArbCom introducing new policy?
>> That's probably bad.
>

> It is headed 'special enforcement' rather than 'special policy', and I think
> the distinction is more than merely terminological. The policy basis is
> WP:BLP which has been in place for some time and has wide acceptance; I
> agree it would be wrong for Arbcom to change that policy.
>
>  But how the community will respond is still up in the air and needs
>> voices.  Recall that even though the ArbCom introduced the
>> contraversial MONGO remedy, eventually the community pushed back until
>> it could no longer be applied farther than the original policy had
>> allowed.  So if a lot of people are upset (and I've never seen so much
>> talk of open revolt), it probably is possible for the community to
>> collectively put this into a different, more well thought out form.
>>

> I believe this new provision will be workable, and with administrators
> acting responsibly, will benefit the encyclopaedia. If we find this doesn't
> happen then we will have to have a look again. However, I would be
> disappointed if there is an organised campaign of resistance aimed at trying
> to overturn the ruling ("open revolt"), more because that's just not the way
> we do things.
>
> --
> Sam Blacketer

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.