[WikiEN-l] Image contribution embarassment

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Jun 15 02:27:51 UTC 2008

Kat Walsh wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> People here might be interested in my post at
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28policy%29#Image_submission_embarassment
>>

> After reading his post I'm disappointed to see this also; I think this
> consequence wasn't in the minds of the people supporting this
> proposal. Since I do take a hardline position on image copyright
> issues, I'd also like it to be easy for us to get free images from
> people who aren't our regular user base and who do already find it
> difficult to contribute media.

If I read correctly, Commons was excluded from the effect of the change
(or at least the comments in the vote on Meta seemed to indicate that).
If so, since most new free-licensed images (as opposed to fair-use ones)
should go to Commons anyway, could we just change the instructions for
new-user uploads to point them to the Commons account-creation and
upload pages?

-Mark