[WikiEN-l] Using Wikipedia content for a chatbot game (GFDL questions)

Amir Michail amichail at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 00:02:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have some GFDL questions with respect to using Wikipedia content in
chatbotgame.com.  This is a game that rewards players for contributing
effective chat rules.

To encourage more people to chat and play, I'm thinking of adding chat
rules extracted automatically from Wikipedia content.

So I have some questions:

(1) The GFDL license makes reference to several concepts that seem to
have no relevance to Wikipedia; namely, "secondary section",
"invariant section", "cover section", and "title page".  Is this
correct?  Presumably, I can just ignore those parts of the license?

(2)  Adding chat rules obtained from Wikipedia content will likely
result in many players adding rules that are derived from Wikipedia
content (e.g., you might copy a chatbot response that comes from
Wikipedia into your rule).  And so it seems like player chat rules
would also need to be under the GFDL.  Is that correct?

(3) But if player rules are under the GFDL, would I need to make all
such rules available?  What if a player deletes a rule?  Must the
deleted rule still be available as part of an xml dump say to satisfy
the GFDL?

(4)  If a player modifies a rule, must the previous version be made
available as part of an xml dump?

(5) What constitutes a derivative work?  Rules in this game are
scored, so does the score count as part of a derivative work or can it
be omitted in an xml dump?  Clearly, players would like to retain a
competitive advantage even if their rules are under the GFDL and
hiding rule scores from others would help.

(6) Is an xml dump of chat rules at regular intervals or on request
enough to satisfy the GFDL?

Amir

--
http://chatbotgame.com